Wednesday 30 December 2009

Tuesday 29th December 2009 - A Day in Court

          I managed to find the Mayor's office, and make a date to do my little presentation.  He used to be the Police Chief, so he offered to get me a shoulder patch as well.  So that all proceeded smoothly. 
          Then I went round to the headquarters of the Glasgow Highland Games.  They've been running Highland Games here in late spring for about 25 years.  This got me an invite to a Hogmanay party.  Of course parties round here you have to bring your own booze, so that meant another trip to Bowling Green.  I'm told they actually have bootleggers here, and it must be very convenient to have someone do the 30-mile trip for you.
 
          I had a really straightforward trip to the records office.  I told my tale to the grown-up lady, and she went to a cupboard and out came the records of the court session of November 1799.  And there it was: they ordered the setting up of the county seat, defining where it was, "... which said town shall be called and known by the name of Glasgow ...".  Then they appointed seven men to be trustees of the town.
 
          Later that night, the barmaid was anxious to know if I had a good holiday.  I assured her I had.  She had been back to Toledo, in Northern Ohio ( I think I went through Toledo on the train to Minneapolis in the spring).  I asked her what had brought her here, and she said "a better environment for my kids".  They are very proud here that the magazine "Progressive Farmer" has declared Barren County to be the absolute best place to live in rural America.  Progressive farmers obviously don't drink beer.

No comments: