Tuesday 15 December 2009

Monday 14th December 2009 - Around and About in Glasgow

           One of the odd things I've noticed in the US is that as soon as you cross a state line, all the number plates (they seem to call them 'tags') change, amost as though they had James Bond revolving plates.  But not in Delaware: here even some of the buses have out-of-state plates.  In the supermarket, there was some problem in the parking lot, and they didn't just give the numbers, they gave the states as well.
 
           Although it has no corporate existence (it's not a county, or a hundred, or a town or village) this Glasgow is quite a big place.  The media reports of crime and accidents which happen in Glasgow spread over quite a wide area.  And there's a Glasgow Park, a Glasgow Shopping Area (which the water tower claims is the 'People's Plaza'), a business center, medical center, even a trailer park.
          The trailer park provides one of the more startling signs
[n0618]
 
There is also a 'Saint Margaret of Scotland' Church, complete with a large bronze statue of the lady and signs in fake gaelic script
[n0616]
 
          Later that night, I found myself in the middle of a Willie Nelson lookalike convention.  But, unlike the astonishingly refined intonations of the man himself, I couldn't understand what any of them were saying.  This may have been due, at least in part, to the fact that they seemed to have been convening for some time.  I should say they couldn't understand what I was saying either, and I lacked a similar excuse.
          I decided just to concentrate on the football.  I think I would understand it better if I knew what the positions on the field were.  There seem to be unlimited substitutions allowed, so the teams seem to have almost as many players as Manchester United, although they all get to play on the night.  When possession changes, the entire field is evacuated, and play is resumed with two different teams.  And there are almost as many officials as players.  Sometimes the coaches can challenge the officials, and the game then goes into one of those slo-mo TV take-overs.

No comments: