Thursday 24 December 2009

Tuesday 22nd December 2009 - Go West, Old Man (Again)

          Prompted by the weather, I'm up and away at crack of dawn (that's about 8 o'clock these days).  The wise decision is to stick to the interstates in this weather, so it's off down 95, round south of Baltimore, and off west along the narrow Panhandle of Maryland.  I'm pretty used, now, to Dulcie's old-fashioned view of the American road system, so I am unfazed when she demands I mount a set of road works in heavy Baltimore traffic.  I know enough of the numbers and directions to stay on the right road.  I-70 takes us to Hancock, where Maryland, rather oddly, is about 2 miles wide.  Then it's 68 to West Virginia
          Pretty soon, we're over the Eastern Continental Divide, somewhere west of Frostburg.  We're up about 3000 feet, and all the way the sky is that misty pale grey that suggests imminent snow.  But it doesn't snow, and I manage to get to Morgantown, in West Virginia, before stopping for breakfast at about 1pm. 
          West Virginia's snow-covered hills look just a bit odd, and I finally figure out why:  There are almost no evergreen trees at all, so the snow is on the ground, and the trees are like old ladies' hair after OAP day at the hairdressers, where it gets all puffed up, and you can see their scalp through it.
         But it's a trouble-free trip all the way to Charleston.  This is very close to Glasgow WV, so I'm staying in the same motel as when I was visiting there.  I know where the naked ladies bar is here, and the Texas saloon.
         I manage to book three days in the only motel I can find in Glasgow KY on the internet.  I'm actually going to spend Christmas in a Glasgow, and, just for the record, at least for me there was room at the inn.

No comments: