Saturday 12 December 2009

Friday 11th December 2009 - Little or No Progress

          Today was the joy of going through old papers and maps.  It's intrinsically pleasurable, and the hours fly by without much actual progress.  I'm looking for evidence of the change from Aikentown to Glasgow between 1777 and 1803, but I don't find any.  I was hoping it was something to do with the arrival of a post office, but it turns out that didn't happen till 1828.
          There seems to have been some special fascination with the Clyde.  In 1883, the East Boston Company was exhorting Boston to emulate what had happened in Scotland (don't ask me why the Historical Society of Delaware has this)
[n0584]
          And for reasons that are unclear, at least to me, the atlas publishers are making comparisons
[n0588]
 
          I found an old bill, among the papers of one Euriah Slack, with the signature of Matthew Aiken himself.
[n0595]
I shows, rather surprisingly, that, in 1799 (and, in fact, till much later), they were still using sterling.   I expect then, as now, it was a matter of who and what they trusted.  Slack himself dealt in both currencies at much the same time.
 
          Later that night, it's off to the scantily-clad waitress bar.  There are a couple of other bars, but they're on the other side of the highway.  The highway has a 50mph speed limit, and drivers seem to do much more than that.   As ever, there is little attempt to accomodate pedestrians.  Although I would be quite happy to cross over to get there, I've decided it's probably not a good idea to negotiate this on the way back, especially with them driving on the wrong side of the road.  So it's the scantily-clad ladies once more.
          Someone came in with a group of young teenage boys, about 12 to 15 years old.  It was obviously some sort of nature field trip.  The boys didn't know where to look.  Well, they did, of course, but they weren't quite sure they were allowed to.

No comments: