Tuesday 8 December 2009

Monday 7th December 2009 - Wrong Side of the Tracks

          I finally found time to sort out my sound system.  It works rather well.  These free books are read by volunteers, unabridged.  It makes me realise what colour the editors and actors put on commercial audio books.  These are unembellished: I have to listen as though I was reading it.  It's just the words, which is how it should be.
 
          Later that night, I thought I would make another attempt at getting a cheesesteak.  It involved going back to that pub again.  I'm nothing if not game (or do I mean dumb?). 
          Anyway, Google had provided me with another pub just up the road, almost beside the recommended cheesesteak purveyors.  Well, the two pubs were chalksteak and cheesesteak.  Where to one I had visited yesterday was still as gentrified as ever (well, more so, actually: they had SkySports News on the ONLY TV, showing mostly soccer). 
          When I ventured across the trolley tracks (the trolleys are no more, but the tracks are still there) I was in another world.  Here were your (in English) horney-handed sons of the soil, your village Hamdens; supping from bottles of your regular American beers; indulging in what I would call "testing" humour (by-the-way, I think it's supposed to be a test).  It was, of course, nearly empty: unemployment here is over 10%, and that's only the official level.
         I finally got my cheesesteak.  Both the recommended places, which were right beside each other, appeared to be takeaways.  The only customer eating-in was a policeman (it was a very cold night).  This just might be Philly's 'fish-and-chips'.  I chose the more famous of the two, the one with historical street signs outside.  It was edible, but pretty poor, definitely from the wrong side of the gastronomic tracks.  I hope anyone anxious to sample the delights of Philly cheesesteak gets better advice than I did.
 
          Oh, and the holiday here season starts at Thanksgiving.  Here is a particularly charming example I saw on the way home:
[n0580]

No comments: