Thursday 25 March 2010

Tuesday 23rd March 2010 - Dodging the Column

          When I cleared out Rozzie (RIP) last Christmas, I packed everything into bin liners and stuffed them into Silver's trunk.  Eight months of just throwing things in the back, and sometimes clearing a space to sleep in had not got them in the best of order.  And "AR" (After Rocinante"), I kind-of settled into hand luggage and minimum changing about.  If I couldn't find something, I just did without it.
          Now I have to clear up and put things in order, so I can carry everything on and off the ship.  I have to peer into the dankness od Silver's trunk, and haul everything indoors to sort out.  It's something I'm not at all keen to do.  Probably because it will inevitably be done badly.  Most people will say "just get on with it", but I have this feeling that the longer I leave it, the better it will be done when I do it.
         Or maybe it's just because I'm not very good at it.  I don't like doing things I'm not very good at.  Or maybe it's the other way round.  I've heard it said that the seccret of educating children is to try to spot what they're good at, and then help them do that..  I'm sure that's true.  In the mean time, I'm spotting what I'm good at, and encouraging myself to do that, instead of what I have to do.

No comments: