Friday 5 March 2010

Thursday 4th March 2010 - A Bit of the West Indies

          It being Bikers' Week, the the Daytona Beach News-Journal has a large coloured picture on the front page of, em, "Coleslaw Wrestling".  I suppose if I was the editor, I would have been unable to resist the temptation either.  The fourth place went to a grandmother from Virginia.  But she was only 42.  It's not just newspaper editors: even grandmothers aren't grown-up during Bikers' Week.
 
          Then it's off for some sightseeing.  There's a warm spring close by which attracts West Indian manatees at this time of year.  They're mammals, a bit like big (sometimes really big) fat seals.  They normally live in the river, but this spring delivers millions of gallons of warm water every day.  There is a Southern-Romantic backdrop of Live Oaks festooned with Spanish Moss.
[n1162]
Like me, they just want to hang about in the sun.
          I also found the Fountain of Youth (don't tell the grown-up ladies!). 
[n1187]
That Spanish ponce came here looking for it.  Of course, it's a big tourist attraction, so every town in Florida has one.
 
          During the afternoon, I'm priveleged to witness some commercial transactions at the local tire depot.  The tire man is unable just to sell tires, he has to explain all the options, and why he would choose what he wants the customer to choose.  I was sold.  I nearly bought a set, and I don't even have a car.
 
          Later that night, NASA, who live just down the road, called to say they were going to let of some fireworks in my honour.  It was really only one great big rocket 
[n1192]
but they had put a weather satellite on top of it.  I expect all the Floridians watching were hoping this would appease the gods and bring some warmer weather (to my amazement, they think it's cold here).

No comments: