Sunday 7 March 2010

Saturday 6th March 2010 - The Climax of Bike Week

          It's Bike Week in Daytona Beach.   It's another beautiful day here, and Saturday is "Cruising on Main Street" day (nothing as organised as a parade for these guys).  I can take great pleasure in cared-for mechanical objects, so I just had to go hang out.
          I walked up-and-down Main Street, in and out of bars, enjoying the cameraderie and the machinery, till I could walk no further.
 
          There were aged rockers
[n1278],
and aged bikes
[n1269]:
some, apparently, historic
[n1264];
lady bikers
[n1279],
some of whom might, just possibly, have been grown-up
[n1328],
and some who clearly weren't
[n1301].
There were helmets
[n1332] [n1322] [n1337] [n1348]
and a bemused cyclist, who had clearly misunderstood the event title (as I confess I did when I first heard it)
[n1344].
And, of course, the stars of the show, exquisitely customised bikes
[n1294],
and trikes
[n1326],
one with what must be the ultimate acccessory
[n1339] (by the way, as you can see from the propeller configuration, it's an autogyro, not a helicopter).
And some people who had just come on their motorbike
[n1346].
But all of it drowning in a shimmering sea of chrome
[n1316].
 
          Later that night, once I'd uploaded, I just sat about enjoying the pictures.  If you're a glutton for punishment, they're all at
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=mvslavin&target=ALBUM&id=5445669545660236113&authkey=Gv1sRgCLP6lsmJmYLy5gE&invite=CIrTt5YM&feat=email , but be warned: there are about a hundred (one of the joys of digital photography is you can make as many attempts as you like at "getting the shot", and only have to worry about needing to stop to replace the battery).
 

No comments: