Tuesday 9 March 2010

Monday 8th March 2010 - The Beginning of the End

          The weather is telling me I can no longer delay going north.  I've decided I can make it to Savannah, Georgia today, up US-1 to Jacksonville, then following the coast on US-17.  North out of Daytona beach, there it is:
[n1351]
          It says I've had my little holiday, and very enjoyable it was too, but this is the road home.  This is wrapping things up, collecting my thoughts, preparing for re-entry.  I need a demob suit, and counselling, but, as ever on this trip, I have to provide all that for myself.
          In fact, fulfilling some perverse need to stay close to the Atlantic for a while, I'm not actually going to Savannah.  I'm passing right through it, heading for a holiday resort called Hilton Head Island, where I've marked out a reasonably cheap motel.
          It's an uneventful journey, except for the joy of ignoring Dulcie, whose Interstate obsession continues unabated.  US-17 joins forces with I-95 for the trip through Savannah, allowing her a bit of relief, so I don't really get to see the place at all.
         
          Later that night, I toddle off to look at the ocean again, but the journey had taken seven hours, which was way more than I expected.  At these latitudes, night falls pretty abruptly, and the ocean is shrouded in darkness.  I repair to the recommended bar (the recommendation came from the young man packing up the "tourist help" stand.  He tells me it has "music and (here he gets excited) girls".  I try to explain the concept of 'grown-up' but he happily tells me that's how he feels, because his lady-friend is all of 49.  I tell him that's a very doubtful grown-up, and he looks confused).  Once again, I'm confronted with a row of taps offering some of the best beers in America on draft, including no less than three from the wonderful Sweet Water Brewery in Atlanta, which I first encountered in Birmingham AL (that's me practicing some recall!).  I enjoy the soda water instead.  Well, I don't actually, but nevermind, eh?

No comments: