Thursday 14 January 2010

Wednesday 13th January 2010 - New Library, New Atmosphere

          I'm trying to read up about the American railways, specifically what it must have been like building them around 1900.  The weather has changed and it's now a balmy 46, which is about 7 or 8 in new money.  I decide it's time to renew my acquaintanceship with the lovely new library here, with its lovely new armchairs, and its lovely old librarians.
          I finish perusing the first book, trying to ignore the chanting child charging about.  When I return with the next, there are a group in the armchairs, holding a meeting!  I sit tense for a minute, waiting for my good manners to sink beneath a boiling current of anger, when one of them, the only chap, suddenly says "I'm so sorry, you must want to read, we'll go over there".  I say something British, and that is that
          Of course, the contributions of his companions to their meeting continue to ring round the library.
 
          Later that night, I discover that the Univerity of Southern California football team are called the Trojans.  It's a bit like University College London decided that their rugby team was hard and modern, so they would call themselves the Durex (or should that be 'durexes")

No comments: