Saturday 2 January 2010

Friday 1st January 2010 - A New Year

         The year starts with a beautiful sunny but cold morning.  Because of the party, it doesn't, at least for me, start too early.  But, in a fancy hotel like this, I can get a good breakfast quite late.  And I hardly have to go out-of-doors at all to get to it.
          Some of the other guests from the party last night are also there, and we have a fairly lively meal.  It turns out I promise to read my favourite Burns poem for them at their Burns night. That means I'll be somewhere in Southern Tennessee on the 30th January.  That fits in fairly well with my plans, so I must have been more lucid than I thought last night.
 
          The Kingdome of Raknar have a memorial cairn at the grounds of the Highland Games
[n0683]
They like to meet there at noon and remember old friends.
 
          Then we are back to one of the cabins for a traditional New Year's Day.  This involves a lunch of corn bread, black-eyed beans, and collard greens.  Of course, they have masses of other things, but that seemed to be the traditional bit.
          Then we settle down to watching college football.  This is the day all the final 'bowl' competitions are supposed to be played.  There are several of these now, so that accounts for the rest of the day.

No comments: