Friday 4 September 2009

Wednesday 2nd September 2009 - A Quick Tour Round the Township

Since there is no actual Glasgow MN to go to , I took a quick trip down to Wabasha, the county town of Wabasha County; a nice quiet run down old roads along the banks of the Mississippi. This took me past Lake Pepin, where the river widdens out. It's sufficiently wide to freeze over in the winter and let the river flow underneath. There is a lot of ice fishing here. It's tourist country, so not cheap. Wabasha was one of the first river towns, and the main street has that nineteenth century small-town look about it. They are preparing for Octoberfest (no doubt as a way of extending the season. The preparations seem to involve hanging a German flag from every lampost.

I took a tour round GLASGOW township, but, in truth, there is not much to see. Gravel roads and isolated farms:
[6378]
wooded hills and cultivated valleys
[6382]
at least one abandonded house
[6388]
but mostly places to avoid
[6385]
I did find Dumfries, which used to be a depot on the narrow-gauge railway which followed the Zumbro river valley. There were still a few houses there.
[6390]
Later that night found me in the famous Slippery's, which figured in "Grumpy Old Men". It's right on the Mississippi. I had an unexpected sighting of the Queen Mary docked there.
[6396]
Despite there being few people in the bar, we managed to generated some quite heated discussion. Then the Canadian Pacific Railway gave me a lift home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to quote your post in my blog. It can?
And you et an account on Twitter?

Mike Slavin said...

please do. Who are you and where is your blog?