Monday 21 September 2009

Saturday 19th September 2009 - When BBQs Go on Too Long

          I've just finished reading Larry McMurtry's "Terms of Endearment".  I got it cheap in Barnes and Noble.  Looking to see when it was first published, I discovered to my surprise that this copy had been published and printed in Britain.  The reason I was looking was that, near the end, he suddenly classifies a particular group as "Grown-up Ladies".  The book was first published in 1975, so I guess he gets the credit.  But I've only just read it, and I've never heard it used in that way before.
          It was made into a film and won Oscars in 1983.  I had to look that up too, because a lady asked me what it was about, and I asked her if she remembered the movie.  She didn't: obviously not grown up.
 
          There was a BBQ this afternoon, with several menfolk displaying exceptional culinary arts.
          And plenty of music round the campfire.  Everyone here seems to know the tunes, and the words, and the chord structures.  It's almost like it was cultural, rather than training or practice, or even interest.  Or perhaps I've just landed myself in a self-selecting group.
 
[N0176] [N0167]
 
With mysterious figures lurking in the background drinking beer:
[N0149]
 
          And later that night, it was still going on.  Someone kindly took me home.  I have a dim recollection of Police activity, with lots of blue lights, just before we turned of the main highway.  I hope I didn't get anyone into trouble.

No comments: