Tuesday 29 September 2009

Monday 28th September 2009 - On the Road Again

          Microsoft once again saves the world!  It seems to me the mission of microsoft is to save us from ourselves.  When I turn on my computer every day, a veritable street market of hucksters pop up out of my taskbar, offering all sorts of services to save me from myself.  I expect they have to pay Microsoft for their pitches, because Microsoft steadfastly refuses to show me an easy way to close them down.
          Even more, when I'm typing something in Word, it sneakily corrects my spelling when I'm not looking.  There are usually ways round this: I can stop it capitalising a word by mispelling it then correcting the spelling, or I can spell words my own way by doing the opposite of that.
          When I was reviewing yesterday's little oeuvre, as I always do to get up to speed for today, I noticed that my "plentiful supply of nubility" had become microsoft's "plentiful supply of nobility".  Now I accept that this is much higher-toned, but it's not what I said.  And I know I didn't do it by mistake, because I had to check the spelling.  I wonder if that's happened anywhere else and I didn't spot it?
          It is usual, when publishing, to put in a preface thanking everyone who helped, and to end by saying "but, of course, any errors remaining are my own."  I guess we should now add "or Microsoft's"
 
          Today was a travelling day.  But the distances are no longer vast.  Within a couple of hours,I was across the mighty Ohio River, and stopped for breakfast.  The Weather Channel last night had been threatening terrible rain, but it was a lovely clear blue sky, which set off my last views of the wonderful hills of West Virginia nicely.  I'm sure you're aware that "over the Ohio River" means into the state of Ohio.  Ohio rapidly gets more cultivated and less hilly.
          Dulcie had used her plentiful prep time well, and took me straight to Glasgow Ohio.  Actually I should say Glasgow, Tuscarawas County, Ohio, because Ohio boasts two Glasgows.
          Although no longer in its heyday, Glasgow Tuscarawas County still exists:
[n0212]
 
           Then I had time to decide between staying at Newcomerstown (which is nearer) and New Philidelphia (which is the county seat, and so has the Courthouse and central Library).  The price and quality of motels, and availability of other services come in to consideration, and N Phil is an easy winner.
 
          Later that night, I realise I have to wear a pullover to go out.  And turn off the air-conditioning and turn on the heating.  And I remember that I drove all the way here without air-conditioning.
          It's that time of year.  The trees were definitely changing colour as I came north, even in just two hundred miles.  The clocks will soon be going back (I wonder if they do it at the same time here?)

No comments: