Friday 18 September 2009

Thursday 17th September 2009 - Meeting the Mayor

I met Mayor Sam Blackburn today, and made my little presentation.
[N0089]
Sam has been Mayor here since 1981, so he provides a great deal of continuity. He remembers a previous visitor from Glasgow Scotland, in 1991, who also brought greetings from the then Lord Provost, Susan Baird.
I've only just got to look closely at the photo, and see the motto on the flag. Those of you who can read latin backwards may come up with a different translation, but I make it "thus always with tyrants". But why is the picture showing a cave-lady standing on the neck of a caveman? [I looked it up. It ought to be the state flag, and, in fact, it is. The lady represents Virtue. The man carries a scourge to represent tyranny. If you look really closely, you'll see his fallen crown just by the Mayor's shoulder.]
I intended to do some photography, but it was a miserable wet day, with not even the buzzards flying. I took a photo of a large number of grounded buzzards, but it looks too much like a Transylvannian wake to publish alongside the nice photo above.

No comments: