Tuesday 15 September 2009

Monday 14th September 2009 - A Bit More Photography

I felt I should have a day off, so I went to Lexington, about five miles away, for lunch. Lexington is the county seat, so I got to check out the locations of the courthouse, the library, and the historical society; and exchange a few photographs.
But I mainly got to find a music shop, so I could get some music, and some nylon strings for my banjo. The nice lady in the shop had plenty of banjo strings, but she'd never heard of nylon ones. I guess they use guitar strings: I'll just have to find out which ones.

On the way back to Buena Vista, I noticed a sign on the side of the first shop on the main street. It said "Welcome to Buena Vista - 6002 happy citizens, and 3 grumpy old grumps". I surmised that that must have been stimulated by a particular incident in the shop: or perhaps three particular incidents. Perhaps next time pass, it will say "6001 happy citizens, and 4 grumpy old grumps"
Which reminds me of something that happened the first day of the festival. I had stocked up on beer from the local supermarket, and when I was putting them in the cooler, I noticed that they were entirely the usual can, except for a little red strip which read "totally alcohol-free". Which put me in a state of shock for a while. But I gathered them up and took them back (they were no use to me) and asked if I could exchange them. The clerk was kind enough to let me. At the end of the transaction, I thanked him for being so kind, and as I went out the door, he said "y'all come back, now". And I realised, for the first time. that I was south of the Mason-Dixon Line.

Later that night, I was bemoaning the fact that there was nowhere to hang out in in Glasgow, except the Moose Club (or Lodge). The man sitting next to me said "I'm a Moose, I'll bring you a form: for $35 dollars, you can hang out in Glasgow. It's a small world, isn't it?

No comments: