Friday 15 May 2009

Thursday 14th May 2009 – So Much to Do, So Little Time

I am keen to be in Montana by Monday.  There is a special reason, but I haven't got time to go into that now.  In fact, I haven't got time to go into anything.  The jury-rigging of the van for overnight stops was so simple that it produced a whole day of dithering, looking for more complicated solutions.  I now think we've done enough to get by.

We interrupted the dithering for a bit of special scientific research: we went to see the new 'Star Wars' film.  If you want my opinion, and why should you, it's very good, and very faithful, in a curiously modern way, to the spirit of the original.  It inspired me: the shuttle may not be quite ready, but I do have to get in it, and I do have to go.

It will take me two days, I think, to get to Montana.  I am planning to go up I94 to Fargo, which will probably take the first day, then I29 to Grand Forks, where I will join US2, which runs all the way to Seattle, through Glasgow.

 

There was a terrible shooting in Glasgow MT back in January.  A sniper, for no reason yet aired, killed an ambulance woman outside the local hospital, and wounded another couple who went to try to help her.  He was then killed in a shoot-out with local law enforcement (I have to use that term, because 'police' would mean just the twelve officers of Glasgow Police Department, but the response included the county sheriff and the native police from the nearby reservation).  The sniper had lived reclusively in Glasgow for two years beforehand.  Nobody appeared to know much about him, so the newspapers were unable to make much of a story.  The inquest is on Tuesday.

No comments: