Monday 18 May 2009

Monday 18th May 2009 – “Just a Wee Doch and Dorris”

I went out for breakfast, just before finding a shop where I could buy a cowboy hat and boots.  The restaurant was quite busy, and most of the old timers were in cowboy hats (and a funny kind of waistcoat), some in boots.  Men here seem to take their coats of to sit at table, but not their hats.  I wonder why that is?  Some need to prevent confusion and the loss of same?  The need to be ready to leave in a hurry?  Nowhere else to put it ( if you think about it, it's a lot harder to store a lot of big hats than it is coats)?  Anyway, I was clearly in cowboy country.  I couldn't wait to get my outfit.

Then I thought about it: and the first thing that came into my head was Harry Lauder: what would I think if one of these nice old gents came to my Glasgow and decided to dress up as a 'Scotsman'?  They would be bound to get it wrong in some way.  It would look, at best, silly, at worst, insulting.

So I decided to save the hat for the pantomime when I get back.

 

The waitress, who was, I think, a senior herself, decided not to offer me the 'seniors' price.  Should I be flattered?  Or just out-of-pocket?

1 comment:

FAPORT International said...

oh! your decision is right to save the hat for the pantomime...