Sunday 24 May 2009

Saturday 23rd May 2009 – Housework

It's Memorial Day Weekend.  Everybody has family things to do.  This gives me a welcome chance to do some housework.  Still without the faithful Sancho, I have to clean down Rocinante myself.  He is covered in flies.  Not as bad as the huge pickup in the next space, which has a bird wedged in its grill.

I don't have much luck with the cleaning.  I think I will have to put him through the washer.  Must look after next year's resale value. 

Then there are all the files to upload and backup.  There is no rest for the blogging traveller.  Sometimes I have to look in about four places to find something I want.  I had this all organised before I left.  It should have stayed organised.

 

Later that same night, in my favourite watering hole, I find no sympathy from the old boys: "just remember it in your head", they say.  They have, indeed remembered things in their heads.  Perhaps it's just as well I can't: other wise I'd be repeating myself as much as they do.  Maybe I do.

The situation is saved by a posse of young ladies who fall deeply in love with me, or at least with my story; or as much of it as I can remember.  They all swear they are off to Glasgow this very minute.  They're from North Dakota, up for some branding party.  They may not know they're already in Glasgow.

 

One of the old boys was a mailman who remembered that he'd walked round the world three times.  He wasn't terribly impressed by a short trip round the USA; especially in a car.  I think his walk had taken him the best part of forty years.  Somehow all this took till 2am.

No comments: