Sunday 3 May 2009

Saturday 2nd May 2009 – an Encounter with Love

I met a woman who thinks I'm more loveable than I think I am!  I tried to explain to Mary Ellen that there couldn't be that much love in the world, at least not since my mother departed and took a lot with her, but she thinks there is.  In fact, she is certain of it.  Which was very uplifting.  I could see immediately why all that love should be devoted to me, but I was surprised anyone else could.  I got my ear bent in what could only be described as a lecture.  And since, in this lecture, she displayed a fine sense of irony, I was left a little uncertain as to what was required of me to achieve this state of loveableness.  (I say this with some trepidation, since others may feel able to offer more direct advice than Mary Ellen.)

I have been lectured, so to speak, more than once by American ladies, and they have all displayed this rich sense of irony.  I don't know how it got about that Americans lack irony: some of them have it - in spades, doubled.

            I was at a fundraiser, in a convent, whose airy, polished wooden calm reminded me of my old school, possibly because it was of the same era and denomination.  Nothing has brought this to mind for a very long time.  The first thing I noticed, as I entered the room, was that it was simply stuffed with middle-aged ladies with grey hair.  It could have been an ante-room to heaven.  Better still, they all seemed to be of the same opinion as Mary Ellen. 

 

Which is a terrific attitude at a fundraiser.

1 comment:

JOSEPH said...

Falling in love again
Never wanted to
What am I to do?
Can't help it.