Friday 30 October 2009

Thursday 29th October 2009 - My Day in the Courthouse.

          They've been having a lot of weather here recently.  There is some vast storm system sitting in the middle of the country, producing vast quantities of snow in the Rockies, and vast quantities of rain in Texas and northwards.  The CNN weather center has got my attention.
          As I came into Beaver this morning, the first thing I saw was a truck with a snowplough mounted on the front.  What do they know that I don't?
 
          The Recorder of Beaver County is highly computerised, so they can show me the early plat maps and deeds of transfer on-screeen.  And they can print me copies.  But they can't give me an electronic copy.  So I have to take a printout and photograph it:
[n0312]
If I tell you, you can just about make out the word "Glasgow" at the end of the top line.
          George Dawson, who platted the town, and therefore, of course, sold off the lots, got through two wives.  I expect a landowner with a number of children would have to have another wife if the first one died, but the slightly surprising thing is that as a landowner and churchgoer, he acquired two wives, neither of whom could write.
          The Glasgow Oil Company, much in evidence near Glasgow, Columbiana County, Ohio, seems to have had its origins here.  It owned lots and wells here, and its officers lived here.
 
          The Grown-up Lady deputed by the Recorder to look after me, turned out to have been born in Glasgow, and her parents still live there.  I arranged to meet them.  Her father has recently become the oldest inhabitant.  Her mother said the best time to come and meet people, including the Council Secretary, was "Church on Sunday", so "Church on Sunday" it is.  The Church has been there for well over a hundred years (it's the Methodist Church, the older Presbyterian one is gone) so I suppose it can cope with a visit from me.

No comments: