Tuesday 6 October 2009

Monday 5th October 2009 - Some Bits of Business

          I had to go to Sugarcreek, about 10 miles west, on a bit of money-laundering business.  Ideally named for the purpose, don't you think.  Dulcie decided, for once, to take me over the hills.  At one point, coming over a rise, the road took a sharp bend to the right, and out of the blue, not being near any road junctions, she suddenly shouts "Turn right!  Turn right!".  Don't you just hate people who order you to do something you're just about to do?  Especially if there's no alternative.  "Yes, dear", I said, quietly.
          Coming back, she got me to take a different route.  Aren't women fickle?
          As we came into Sugarcreek, we had to cross a level crossing (level crossings are extremely common here).  Now I'm sure you're like me, and even if there are lights and barriers, you sneak a look up-and-down the line, just to check.  And blow me down, about 100 yards up the line, there was an Ohio Central freight train rolling towards me.  It was going very slowly, but I swear it was moving.  Gave me quite a turn.
 
          I got a nice grown-up lady to notarise me: in public, at the bank.  And she only wanted two dollars.  Then it was time to send off some documents.  You don't 'post' documents here, you 'fedex' them.  Even when you're using UPS to do the fedexing.  I think UPS must feel like all those companies who manufacture hoovers and biros.
 
          Then, it being the Octoberfast, later that night we had the heady excitement of the laundromat.  A soccer match started on the TV.   It claimed to be the English Premiership, but I think it must have been scratch game: the captain of Man City seemed to be playing for Villa, one of Villa's stars seemed to be playing for City, and several Arsenal players were playing for City as well as Chelsea and Spurs players.
          A very large American asserted that "nobody wants to watch soccer" and started changing channels.  I had to assert my rights.  He wasn't annoyed, just surprised.  It being the laundromat, there were no grown-up anybodies to be impressed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What's even worse is when your GPS, as our old Garmy did on several occasions, screams at you to turn into a ditch or over a significant precipice to certain death. She's retired now, but Garmy II still wants to take us through hill and dale on occasion.

Don, Geri and DeeBee