Monday 16 November 2009

Sunday 15th November 2009 - A Day of Rest

          A lovely warm fall day.  I decided to have a traditional Sunday,  The best I could find for breakfast was McDonalds.  The traditional restaurants seem to open late and gear themselves up for Brunch.  But McD was quite and sunny, so I got a bit of reading in.  I'm working my way through the Oxford book of American Short Stories.  It has a lady editor who has not yet proved to me that she's grown up, but the stories are quality.
          Then I discover, in, I have to say, a state of deshabille,  that there was no bathplug.  Just as I'm ready to relax entirely, I have to get the old mind back in gear and do something clever with an old yoghurt carton.  But that allows me a heavy sweat and and another couple of stories.
 
          Then it's round to the Red Horse at Pleasant Gap.  They have, unfortunately, run out of civilised beer, and I have to make do with a local brew, from the Bavarian Barbarian brewery at Williamsport, some fifty mile away.  It's called 'headbanger' which has to serve as a warning.  I even try the Sam Adams October Brew, but it bangs my head just as hard.  I have a long, and, of course, erudite discussion with the barman about whether Sam Adams or Yuengling (The rather nice one that's run out, and another local Pennsylvania brewery, in Pottsville) is the biggest American brewery, now that the Belgians have bought Anheuser-Busch.  He favours Yuengling, but it can't really be true, since it is still, after six generations and 180 years, family-owned.  And I indulged myself in a pizza.
 
          And, of course, it being a Traditional Sunday, there was no later that night. 
          But there was one moment of excitement: I went out to look for a shop (that's also a pretty forlorn hope here on a Sunday night) and I nearly killed my first deer.  Big bugger he was, too.  I just managed to slow just enough to let him leap away, but it was pretty close.  He's lucky to be alive.
          Actually, they say here it can do you as much damage as them.  So maybe I'm lucky to be alive.  It certainly would have made a fair mess of poor old Rozzie.

No comments: