Tuesday 3 November 2009

Monday 2nd November 2009 - From Borough to Village

          I almost forgot the Sheriff's arm patch, so I had to stop at the courthouse again before leaving town.  The sheriff was busy, but one of his deputies was ever so helpful.  He even wished me success on the rest of my trip.  But I still find find talking to someone wearing a gun very inhibiting.
          Dulcie surprised me by choosing an interstate-free route (I've found a way of checking on her before we start).  Actually, this turns out not to mean very much, since the quality of the road seems to be independent of its route name.  In fact, some roads carry several routes (sometimes in different directions - one can be going south on Pennsylvania-something and east on US-something at one and the same time).  But always American road engineers are in love with concrete, so one has to give a disproportionate amount of attention to looking out for cracks and holes.
          I'm never very interested in the scenery, but, just for the record, the trees are now nearly all bare.  Except for the evergreens, of course, which are, em, as ever, green.
 
          My autumn fast had lasted an extra day.  Surprisingly, out of choice, rather than because it was Sunday.  Perhaps going to church does that to a person.  Anyway, I like to weigh myself at the end, just to make sure I haven't done to much damage (ha, ha).  A proper weighing requires the removal of clothes, so there is a certain difficulty with using weighing machines in the local pharmacy.  I have devised a cunning plan where I add a pair of shoes to the requisite selection of dirty laundry, and weigh that as well.
          Unfortunately, my plan comes to naught, because I can't find a public weighing machine anywhere.  I suppose most people here who need to weigh themselves would not be willing to do it in public.  But it sets me a problem.  Perhaps I could sneak into someone's house and do it.  How do you think that would sound to the men with guns?  "I'm sorry, officer, I was just weighing this dirty laundry".
 
          My first view of this new Glasgow involved another mistake.  On the last use of the camera, I had told it we were in incandescent light.  So it added a nice wash of blue over everything.   I shall have to redo them for the record, but in the meantime, look at the comparison between Beaver County
[n0300]
and Cambria County 
[n0351]
          This one runs to a Post Office, so this is the actual "Glasgow, PA"
[n0353]
(notice the coded reference to strong drink!).
Even if the Pennsylvania Department of Transport doesn't know how to spell it (perhaps the signwriter had been at the Kronenberg!).
[n0348]

1 comment:

Joe said...

Now if you could inform the authorities and get that sign ammended as part of your traveller's duty, this might be taked as a sign that you are really a good guy at heart who is serious in his quest to put all Glssgows on the tourist map and it might encourage such authorities to extend your stay...what about it?