Wednesday 8 April 2009

Time to Go

Looked at my google calendar this morning: "5pm, QM2, Southampton", it said, "GO TO AMERICA". Oh God, it's today. I've checked everything twice a day for the last week. I've been round the pub five times to say farewell. All that's left now is to do it. Everyone else seems very excited. I guess that's because they're not doing it: I'm doing it. I'm not excited, I'm scared. I'm actually about to do it.
I remember a Woody Allan film which starts with him having a last cigarette in front of a firing squad. Suddenly, he jumps onto the perimeter wall, shouts "So long, suckers!", and vanishes. If I was scripting a film with me in the starring role, I would put a scene like that in it.
Wait a minute! I am writing a script with me in the starring role. So this is where I get to say to all those staying behind:

SO LONG SUCKERS!

No comments: