Wednesday 26 August 2009

Tuesday 25th August 2009 – North to Organise the Troops

It is time to sort out the Immigration Service, so I have to head back to Minnesota and get the lawyers briefed.  It is not what I want to do, but it has to be done.  I shall try to be brave and grown-up, and face the problem, and not just avoid it by keeping going till I get to Canada.

This involves passing the two Glasgows in Iowa.  I can't help feeling I could have planned this better.  But I didn't.

I'm travelling the road I used leaving Iowa a few weeks back.  I can't say I recognise it, since last time it seemed to be underwater.

I stop for a break at Hannibal MO, home of Mark Twain.  I get to stroll down by the Mississippi, and look across at the beaches and islands, and imagine Tom and Huck running away from home on their raft.  I reflect on the fact that I ran away from home on the Queen Mary 2, a far more civilised thing to do.

 

         I decided to stay overnight at Cedar Rapids, since I hadn't been there before.  When I get checked in, I come out later that night to find a brewery next door.  And very good beer it was too.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

So I see that the tourist trap of Hannibal caught you! It was great to visit with you and travel for a brief moment on your quest. Still drinking the beer you left. Thank you.